9.22.2011

Snap Up Sleeves

In case you missed it, I guest posted on Oops I Craft My Pants last week.

Today I'm going to show you how to cutesy up your sleeves, with a little EASY sewing and a couple snaps.

I started with this yucky, boxy, totally NOT flattering shirt.
If you want to see what I did to make it form fitting go here
After I slimmed the shirt up a bit, I shortened the sleeves to 3/4 length. I'm going to be doing a tutorial on that early next week, so be on the lookout ;)

 So I took what fabric I had leftover from the sleeves and I cut 4 strips about 9 inches long and 1.25 inches wide.
Place 2 strips right sides together and with 1/4 seam allowance, sew up one side, make a rounded top and sew down the other side, be sure to backstitch.

 Trim off the excess around the rounded end (say that 5 times fast!)
 Turn them both right side out, press, top stitch all the way around. Now you need to decide how much gathering on the sleeves you want and where you want to places your snap up strips. I didn't want very much gathering on these, but you can do whatever you like (I'm not gonna stop ya). So turn the sleeve wrong side out and sew a little box and X to make it secure. Make sure you aren't sewing both your sleeves together...not that I've done this or anything
 Then place a snap over the little X and one on the end of your strip that's hanging out. Definitely check which way you are attaching your snaps! I used decorative snaps cuz they're pretty :)
OH SNAP! You just made your ugly shirt cute!
Of course you can vary the length of the straps and how gathered your sleeves are ;)

Much Love~
Meredith

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. i LOVE this!! It looks amazing! I'm just starting to learn how to sew because it took me like 3 months to figure out how to get the bobbin right! haha :) I'm now following you!!

    And in reply to your comment, I know it's scary to go to the dr. It is actually really depressing. But there are at least a couple quick tests they can do just to see where youre at! Email me if you have any questions- but trust me I wish I'd have gone to the dr a LOT sooner (in my case, it got worse because I hadn't been on birth control so I had a ton of cysts grow).

    GOOD luck dear! And you are not alone :)

    Suzy

    joyisathome (at) hotmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to look at my blog!

Have a fantastic day!

P.S. I do my best to reply to every single comment I get, but if you are a no-reply blogger I can't see your email address to reply. Please change your settings so we can be friends!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...